Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Earth Hour 2011Crafts

Watts Up Everyone?
Did you notice the Earth Hour button in my sidebar? -------------------------------------------------->
Anyone up for a challenge?  Alright then, save this date
~Saturday March 26, 2011 between 8:30pm-9:30pm~
Has anyone heard of the saying, "The lights are on but no one's home"?  No, I'm not talking about my intelligence!!  I hate to admit it, but our family is brutal at leaving unnecessary lights on!  
 
In honor of Earth Hour 2011, our family will be focusing on energy conservation this week.  One of the easiest ways to conserve energy is to turn off the lights.  As soon as a switch is turned off, energy stops flowing immediately.  Since our house is in a renovation stage, I thought it would be nice to focus on our light switch covers. Sapphire and Opal gladly helped me decorate a light switch cover for Pearl's new room.  Raise your hand if you've modge podged a light cover before?  I used spray adhesive to adhere the scrapbook paper to the light cover.  Then I applied a few thin coats of modge podge to protect it.  I like this striped paper because it was super easy to align the paper on the light cover.    

































I'm kinda hoping to take Earth Hour one step further by powering off completely.
I'll be honest, shutting down my computer for 60 minutes gives me mild anxiety!!!  Gahhhhh!
I'd actually have to pry myself away from sites like, Pinterest.  I totally loose myself on that site!
Way too many pretties to gawk at!


Here's a bright idea!!!  Why not make some light bulbs out of yellow balloons and play doh containers covered with construction paper.  It's a simple project but it gets kids engaged in the idea of turning out the lights.
























I also picked up a bunch of these to encourage my kids to turn out the lights...






























OK, so here's the real debate.  Do you think Earth Hour is a noble cause or just a colossal waste of time and energy?  Should we look beyond the hype and is it really that useful in tackling climate change!
Here's my take on it...If Pocoyo can pause to observe Earth Hour then so can I and so should you!




1 comments:

Russo said...

What a fun idea- I had no idea this event existed so thank you for keeping your readers updated. I am so buying some glow in the dark bracelts-great idea!

Russo @ www.threegnomes.blogspot.com